Sunday, October 27, 2013

When purpose and identity collide

 As a counseling professional, I am charged with identifying a theoretical orientation or framework.  A theoretical framework helps to guide my practice as a counselor when working with a client.  The reason I am sharing this with you is because I had another "a ha" moment about the importance of knowing your purpose and how purpose and identity intersect. 

Purpose is why you exist and identity is who you are.  When purpose and identity are aligned, you are living authentically.  So the question may be is why do I exist, you must look for themes that define who you are and what you do. My theoretical framework as a counselor is rooted in the humanistic school of thought. Halbur and Halbur (2011) says "the core belief of the humanistic school is that humans have a basic inclination to become fully functioning" (p.11). I realized how there is congruency in what I do and who I am are connected.

 Self-actualization is described as the "process of moving toward one's greatest potential" (Halbur & Halbur, 2011, p. 60). Self-actualization is a continuous process and it takes awareness and a willingness to develop and grow. Self-awareness is key to understanding who you are.  The connection of awareness and actualization moves you into purpose.

Begin your journey of self-awareness and self-actualization.



No comments:

Post a Comment