Sunday, September 23, 2012

Who Are You...Creating Your Identity!


Who Are You?

This weekend, I spent some time catching up on some shows that I had recorded.  I watched Oprah’s interview with Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson and the episodes of Iyanla, fix my Life with Evelyn Lozada. There was a question that resounded throughout the episodes - “Who Am I?” We tend to look at who we are through the lens of our past or other people. 

How many times have you had an awakening out of a situation and asked yourself how did I get here? Or who was that woman that allowed that to happen?  The realization that you were not living your true self can be startling, denial, fearful, freeing, etc.  The question becomes how can I make the shift into becoming the person that I was created to be and not the person that I have created from living my life through the rearview mirror.

As I listened to the discussion between Oprah and “50 Cent” /Curtis Jackson, I was able to see that he created the image of “50 Cent” but Curtis Jackson is the person that he strives to be.  Curtis Jackson is a quiet to himself businessman that loves his grandmother.  Oprah walked away with a new appreciation for him.  In a moment of transparency, I have always had a thing for Curtis Jackson.

Iyanla helped Evelyn to identify truths about who she is and not the image that she has created.  She created an image out of fear of not wanting to be alone and also the” non factor” of having a relationship with her father.  We can not have Oprah or Iyanla to come to our homes and do the work for us. But there are professionals that can help you find your truths and be who you really are?

SIDEBAR: I was having a conversation with someone and we discussed how counseling/therapy should be on the dental model.  It should be considered a preventative service and not one sought after it becomes too much or a self described crisis.  I am a person that goes to the dentist every six months and my well woman visits once a year.  These services are considered to be preventative maintenance so that I will remain well.  And some of these visits are actually no charge to me because they are preventative.  The idea of going to see a counselor for a wellness check should become the norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment