Saturday, October 13, 2012

Does "The Black Church" perpetuate singleness?

As a follow up to my last posting, I continue to think about singleness and have the expectations changed.  It also made me think more about whether "The Black Church" perpetuates singleness among African American women.  I remember reading an article a while ago that posed the same question and I had thought about writing my dissertation on a similar topic.  I have decided on another topic which I will discuss later as I firm that up.

These are thoughts that I have about the subject and remember they are just my thoughts. I grew up in a predominately African American church and still attend one.  The membership of both congregations are comprised of mostly women holding leadership positions and filling the pews.  Both congregations are male dominated in the role of who is the ministry leader.  The teaching from the pulpit regarding the role of the woman is one viewed as the man is the head of the household. 

The messages taught show that men should take on the role of seeking out the woman to court and marry.  My question is if it is a female majority sitting in the pews and in leadership positions, are men getting the message that they are suppose to initate the process?  Also there are two perspectives of what is right by God and then also what is considered right in our society?

The creation of a fantasy man that may or may not exist from the pulpit makes it hard for a good brother to measure up when he is doing his best. I know that I govern my expectations in relationships on the basis of the principles that I was and am taught in church.  Are these expectations keeping me in the single category longer that expected? 


2 comments:

  1. Those expectations may be keeping you in the single category longer than you like, but remember that God's timing is always perfect. I can remember being told over and over (once by my own mother!) that I was being too picky. They were wrong. God was right.

    Enjoy the ride now. Celebrate your singleness. God will bring you the right man at the right time.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori-

      I truly believe that God will bring me who is right and the right time....it is just that through cultural perspective there is a this expectation set by a male preacher that can be oppressive.

      Delete