Thursday, October 25, 2012

Calling or Distraction


One of the assignments that I shared with my class was “The Lottery”.  The task of the activity was to have the student list 10 important activities that were in their lives.  They coded the activities and had to place them in the column titled Calling or Distraction.  We later came up with a definition of calling – “an inborn desire that one is compelled to serve a fulfilling and enjoyable purpose.”

What struck me as interesting was that it took the students a while to come up with 10 important activities in their lives.  Some stated I don’t do anything outside of taking care of my children, work and school. So I began to asking probing questions, such as what activities define who you are or what you do. Think about what you do on a daily basis and identify important activities that you participate in…spend time with family, reading a good book, listening to music, prayer, helping others, etc.

After looking at your important activities what are things that are calling you and what are distractions.  At times, we have some activities in our daily lives that are keeping us from our callings because they are hindering us from moving forward.  Reading is an important activity to me but it depends on the type of book that I am reading is whether it is a distraction.  I am working to spend more time reading material that feed my calling. 

Our calling is the activities that compel us to serve a purpose……so what is calling you?

No comments:

Post a Comment