Monday, January 21, 2013

Freedom....Freedom....Freedom

Freedom is a gift from God but it must be secured by the people here today. - President Barack Obama - 2nd Inagural Speech 2013

Today is a historic day and a day of rememberance of those who fought and fight to maintain our freedom.  We honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr and watch the coverage of the second inagural ceremony of President Barack Obama.  We also celebrate this year, the 150th anniversary of the Emmancipation Proclaimation and the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington and 100 years of the greatest sorority...Delta Sigma Theta, Inc. I am so grateful for being alive at such a time as this.

Initally, I thought my word for the year was going to be PURPOSE but as I continue in prayer seeking God's will He has made it plain that my focus word is FREEDOM.  Freedom is derived from the root word of Free.  Webster defines Free and Freedom as "not under the control or power of another; having liberty; independent. (2) to move in any direction (3) to release from bondage or arbitrary power, obligation, etc. (4) a right or priviledge."  Freedom is a mindset and it comes with a cost.  The call to be authentic in who I be and not what I do is part of the cost of freedom. 

The quest for what your purpose is and what you are passionate is rooted in the desire to be free. We desire to be who were created to be.  Freedom will allow you to align yourself with your values, heart's desire, purpose, etc.  One of the first things we must do is get our mindset right because the greatest battle is in your mind.  Those thoughts, scripts and beliefs that keep us locked in prison cost us the price of our freedom.

Yesterday, we had a guest psalmist that sung a song called Freedom by Eddie James.  The lyrics of the song included "No more shackles, No more chains, No more bondage, I am FREE.  This will become my song of praise and encourage.  I want each of my readers to walk in freedom and be who they are called to be.



2 comments:

  1. Wow. I did not realize this was such a historic year.

    I like the word Freedom. It will be a great theme for the year.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!! Great post! Love it.

    ReplyDelete